Monday, May 23, 2011

This Week’s Gaming - Terrari What?


There’s a indie game titled Terraria that’s becoming a bit of a hit on Steam. It’s the top seller on Steam despite the The Witcher 2 being released on the same week, which says a lot about how many copies of the game has been sold on Steam.





Terraria
This week, I’ll be diving into Terraria. It’s still in beta and so far it definitely feels like a Minecraft inspired game(despite what many people say otherwise). But it does emphasize the fighting of monsters and loot mechanic a lot more than Minecraft. One issue I’ve found with Terraria is that monsters spawn above you a lot. Because it’s a 2D game, monsters spawn in backgrounds other than wood or stone(which is why you want to wall up your home so that no monsters spawn in it). It’s weird but once you see it, you’ll know what I mean. Unlike Minecraft, which just spawns monster in dark areas, in Terraria, monsters just spawn off screen(regardless of whether there is light), which might surprise you. Which also makes single player significantly challenging and not so fun. Playing with other players, it gets a lot better as you can have other players to cover your back while you mine. Again… this is in beta, so balance is not quite there yet. Will try to have a write up this week or next.



Avadon: Black Fortress
My review will be up this week. It’s just a very long game. Thought I could've finished my review last week. I think I’ve played the game enough to have a more solid opinion of the game. It’s visually rather weak but the storyline seems quite interesting. It’s not a cliched fantasy RPG at all and a lot of the theme and story centres on the people that hold power and the extent they go to to hold on to power.



Victoria 2
Okay Victoria 2 is really unlike Europa Universalis. From what I’ve seen, there is no concept of national stability or cassus belli. Still, you’ll need a good reason to go to war. Very different title. Might take time to get used to it. Declaring war with France in the first 4 years is just a bad idea. Every time I’ve done that, they’ve administered a severe bet down on Prussia. I think I’ll just grow my army and maybe interfere with war in the Italian peninsular since some small state there is always at war.

No comments:

Post a Comment