Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Malaysian Gamer



Talking about PC Games & Strategy Games

Hi, I'm Theshigen aka frags(an online nickname I used from the days of playing Counter Strike), a PC gamer who has been playing games on the PC for a long, long time now. Since the days of Wolfenstein 3D, Dune and other old school classics, I've been mainly a huge strategy game fan. You can read about the strategy games that were influential to me here. I'll be covering not just strategy games here, so don't worry if you aren't a huge strategy gamer. Also, lots of cool indie games.


So What About This Blog Then?

I've never been a big fan of most major gaming blogs and websites. Somehow I feel that they are not catered to the stuff I like. There are some sites I do frequent(which you can view on My Blog List widget) but they aren't the hugely popular blogs on the internetz.

With more blogs catering to the console audience and mainstream ported titles to the PC, I see that strategy games, indie games on the PC, and very PC specific games are getting shafted. Don't get me wrong they do get featured, but not as often or as prominent as I would like. So for Malaysian Gamer, I've set out to write about the games that are really unique and are mainly PC games first. You'd still see the triple A major game title once in a while, but also expect a lot of PC centric games.



So What's A Malaysian?

There's nothing particularly Malaysian about this blog other than me being a Malaysian. So don't fret if you're not one yourself. I'm still figuring out why I called this blog Malaysian Gamer in the first place. It was a spur of the moment situation when it came to naming this blog.

As for this blog, a lot of the previous article types will be consolidated as features. You can still expect a lot of features, stuff on free games, indie games, demos, issues in PC games, etc. I've even started a game diary series which I plan on doing for many other games. There are a few retrospective pieces on the horizon as well(on some classic PC games). HINT: One of it is the best RTS ever made.

A Note On How I Do Reviews

I don't give games review scores....period. I find them backwards for the industry, heck even dangerous, a relic of the past. I understand that companies would like to have a measurable metric on their games quality. But please do not use review scores! Instead at Malaysian Gamer, I only give a verdict on games. In a single sentence, I sum up what I think about a particular game. I list out the pros and cons I found and reading this is important to give you context to what I generally thought about a game.


Think You Can Help Out?

Malaysian Gamer welcomes guest contributors that can contribute articles about games or platforms that I may not cover in this blog right now.


Are You An Indie Developer?

I'm always looking for new indie games to write about. If you're a developer and would like to spread the word on your games, just email me. Introduce your game and yourself with a playable version of the game and I might just write about your game. I'd love to do my part to help out the indie scene as much as I can. So don't be shy, just hit me up on the emails.


I hope to have this blog improved and expanded with increased readership. I sincerely hope that you will visit this blog regularly and make it a staple of your daily blog reading. If you would like to contribute to this blog please e-mail me or twitter me up(address and twitter page linked below). I also appreciate any feedback on my blog, so please twitter me or e-mail me. Please do subscribe to the RSS feed here.

Thank You.

Regards,
Theshigen
panzer206@gmail.com
My Twitter Page
Facebook Page

19 comments:

  1. Recently found this blog from your posts in LYN. Nice. It feels especially good to see another Malaysian not just writing about games, but writing well. I'll be sure to check in from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement. I hope you will find lots of interesting articles to read about.

    My writing will improve as I get better at this. I think I already see a marked improvement on the newer articles I write(compared to the old ones, by a week or two).

    ReplyDelete
  3. heyy~
    you mind exchanging links or taking a look at my blog?? its also on video games so yea..if you are interested, pls mail me at shadow@sir-games.com
    thnx ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to ditching the score system for reviews. I'm glad I'm not the only one against this backwards and totally backwards system of trying to seem objective in a subjective pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. Since Malaysian Gamer is not beholden to any shareholders, companies or even entrenched set of readers, we can choose to go review score free. One of the best decisions I have made for the site.

    However, for hardware, it might be a bit tricky. Yeah we also do some hardware reviews sometimes so that needs some rethink in how reviews are done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Blog Gives me a RockPaperShotgun-esque feel...But Malaysian...Job well done on the site, and the articles are spot on...Sounds like you play my kind of games =P
    We gotta play together when Sengoku gets out or some Terraria

    Proud to be Malaysian when I see sites such as this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I'm happy that you like this site. I've spent a lot of time working on it and making it a worthy site to visit.

    I have my hands tied a bit with multiplayer games for now. Streamyx issues(high latency). I hope that gets resolved soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely redesigned. Good luck on your journey..you've paved wonderful roads for those following you behind. Agent Z. (zenpower41)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SPY! Seriously though, thanks. It means much to me that at least there are people who appreciate what we're trying to do here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice work with the blog, we just started ours so hopefully we can get as many followers as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, thanks. We are still hoping to grow and get better. Whatever the case, never give up. And always keep in mind what you aim do do with your blog, your objective. Always use that to guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there, always nice to find another fellow Malaysian and gamer, and an excellent blog writer too!

    I stumbled upon your blog while googling to see if I can find any Malaysian online gaming clans. Rather depressingly I found very, very few of them and they're mostly DotA/HoN/WoW clans. I was kinda hoping for more local buddies to play online games with that's not DotA/HoN/WoW.

    Btw, I'm not sure if you've reviewed World of Tanks yet... if you haven't you might want to have a look at it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have played World of Tanks a while back. In the early stages it was a bit of a grind. And very frustrating as you died a lot. Interesting concept and I might get back to it later. When TM fixes my internet connection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there any Malaysian gamer in Seafight ... really need someone there ... really alone ... I'm play Three Kingdoms Online too ... but have stop it and focus on Seafight .... hard to meet Malaysian gamer .. In TKO i think i found them in the last server i join ....

    ReplyDelete
  15. you play battlefield3 ?
    how to play online on pc?

    ReplyDelete
  16. After you install the game on Origin. You register on
    https://battlelog.battlefield.com/

    Then everything is done on Battlelog

    ReplyDelete
  17. mintak buat review game football superstar http://footballsuperstars.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, just an enq, are you somehow connected to http://www.mgamerstech.blogspot.com/ ? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Janet, we are not associated with them in any way. Malaysian Gamer is a blog I started more than 3 years ago with an emphasis on PC games and indie games. A game industry focused blog with a Malaysian twist.

    ReplyDelete