Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sins of A Solar Empire Entrenchment Beta 1.0 Early Impression


Sins of A Solar Empire: Entrenchment was released today and I have to say, I like what i see. I think it adds a very important dynamics to what is already a great game. The addition of star bases add more depth to the gameplay and allows the player to be a bit more liberal with their fleets.

These star bases also have many different upgrade paths from trade to weapon based upgrades. Making them have more powerful weapons, better range and make money for you. There are also the ability to place mines now in any area in a sector. Scouts are the only unit(as of now) that can detect these mines hence making scouting prior to attacking a sector more important now.

A new defense tech tree has been added that has a lot of new research paths that unlock upgraded weapons or range for defense structures and other things defense related.

So far I have only played with the TEC faction and haven't got far into a game, but enjoying it a lot. There are definitely some balancing issues for Ironclad to solve like mine detection, star base range, build times and cost. I have no doubt these things will get balanced.

I'm quite surprised at the significance of this 'micro' expansion. I can see a lot of potential in it to be a huge addition to the game. And at USD$9.95(RM 35 as of now), I think its great value for money. I'll write an extended preview once I've had more time with the Beta.

No comments:

Post a Comment