Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Civilization V Game Diary 3 - No Military Units


I currently seem to be stuck on backwater continent as I got a message stating that there were two unknown civilizations that entered the classical era. No one on my continent was in the classical age. Oh and just a couple turns in, at turn 57, I entered the classical era. This means I am technologically ahead of Elizabeth and Montezuma but I’m paying a price for it.






Elizabeth taunts me for having a puny army. Well, I checked and I don’t have a single military unit(lost my single spearman to barbarians). This is dangerous, I guess I was too preoccupied with building temples and other culture and science buildings. Will need to get a military unit soon. I’m just waiting to get iron working researched so I can get iron and build Legions as my first military unit.



Turn 71, I built my third city, Cumae, in between Rome and Antium. It doesn’t close the borders but if I rush culture, I might be able to close the borders with Antium before those other pesky civs sneak a settler near Rome. Still waiting to get Legions. You probably shouldn’t take such risks and build a military unit or two. I’m pushing my luck here.



Turn 83 and I get the weirdest request. A research agreement with Montezuma. I now have a friendly relationship with Montezuma which was something I could have never imagined when I first met him. Not really a pleasant guy. Immediately in the next turn, he asks me to join him in his war with Elizabeth. Well Montezuma, considering I have no military unit whatsoever, I have to decline.



Turn 84, iron working research is done. Unfortunately no lucky iron resource in any of my borders. But found one just beside Antiums borders. Spent gold and purchased that tile as my own. Oh how I love this feature. If I could just hold out for this worker to build a mine there, I can start building my mighty Legion.

I find the Soghai empire north of my continent. Great this ought to be one happy continent to be in. Elizabeth taunted me again for not having an army. She’s getting a little testy with me, with our close borders. War with Elizabeth is an eventuality.



Turn 98, and I finally built that mine. Now I have 6 iron(which means I can build 6 Legions). Building a Legion at Antium. It will take 12 turns. I checked my borders and see that Elizabeth has got swordsmen stationed at Nottingham(bordering Antium). Will I be able to avoid war? For how much longer? Has my aggressive focus on culture and science buildings screwed it up for me?

2 comments:

  1. Since you are in good term with that mad Aztec (assumed that he is), have him back you up. :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if Montezuma gets into a war with Elizabeth, which I think he is going to, then a brief respite for me. I don't think I have much bargaining power at the moment.

    ReplyDelete