Wednesday, October 6, 2010

LOTRO Game Diary 1 - In the Beginning


Lord of The Rings Online recently went free to play. You can download it here. I thought it would be a fun little experiment to get into LOTRO and do a game diary. I’ve never been into mmo’s as I’ve found grinding for leveling up to be tedious and not very fun. I’ve also always found the mmo game worlds to be a bit ‘unlively’. So with that, I jump head first into LOTRO, downloaded the client(a slow and annoying process as it uses a p2p client), and made my first character.



So a bunch of my friends are on the Meneldor server, so that’s the server I joined(if you’d like to join in, make sure to join this server). So I create Halinthir, the elf from Mirkword. Yes elf, I like playing pretty people(I’m vain that way). Halinthir is a skilled hunter, armed with a bow and ragged clothing, he has no idea what he got himself into this time.


Some dude named Elrond explains that a dwarf named Skorgrim has been planning to attack the elf refuge. He says he might attack anytime and we must prepare defences. Oh boy tutorial missions…



So things hit the fan and the dwarf are sieging the refuge of Edhelion with Trolls! Yes Trolls! Hmm I must admit, this seems like a pretty action packed and fun tutorial. I thought these things would be more boring. I guess I was wrong.


After a bunch of tame encounters with pathetic dwarves, I came across a troll which, well stunned me. Feel dizzy… But thankfully this Elrond dude is pretty powerful. He saved our ass.


We run up to this courtyard and this guy named Talagan sacrificed himself to protect the relics in Eldhelion. How noble of him. Talagan NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Apparently all that happened hundred of years ago and Eldhelion is now a ruin. Handy that elves are immortal. And so begins the adventure of Hilinthir the elf from Mirkwood.


To be continued... Next time, leveling up and being fashionable



LOTRO Game Diary Series:
Part 3
Part 4

2 comments:

  1. Actually you could have done this much earlier as LotRO had a pretty generous 14 day trial even when it was subscription-only. That's what I did some time back. I wasn't terribly impressed because it seemed a lot less polished coming from WOW, especially interface-wise. I suppose now that it's free to play, I should check it out again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you about the UI. Lots of small little icons that make no sense which opens up inventory etc. You'll probably be figuring out which icon opens up what. And I still cant remember which Icon opens up inventory/character screen. Looks like a design oversight for them to think everyone will use hotkeys :s

    But as I said, I have no real experience with any MMO. I'm the fella who downloaded WoW trial and played that for 2 days and forgot about it. I'm sure WoW is a lot more polished and is the better game. The only reason I'm playing this at all is that its free. Also a couple of my friends are playing it so I'm not alone in this(they are much higher level though).

    ReplyDelete