Monday, May 30, 2011

This Week’s Gaming - Tactical Strategy Game Week


It’s a coincidence that I have two tactical strategy games to play through this week. One, a game that has had a very lengthy beta and another a bit more rough around the edges(presentation wise). This week my Avadon: The Black Fortress review should be published. My impression of Terraria would also be up this week as well. Behold, games I'll be diving in this week...



Frozen Synapse
Mode 7's tactical strategy game can only be described as the planning phase of Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, mixed with a dash of the tension of an X-COM tactical battle. Since I'm a huge fan of both games, I'm liking this one quite a bit. Incredibly tense and super challenging. I like that I can also take my time turning in my turns(It is a turn based game, but the turns are resolved simultaneously... which means both sides move at the same time). It took me an endless amount of tries before I managed to even win the first ever mission in single player. And when I did, it was very satisfying.


Age of Fear
Another indie tactical turn based strategy game. This one set in a fantasy/medieval setting and has knights, swordmen, archers, trolls and ogres instead. No rooms to hide, no cover to duck behind, just good old fashion medieval combat. Tactics revolve more on moving in formation to protect the ranged units. Age of Fear has a lot of depth and variety in terms of units, monsters and enemies. There are dice rolls(which obviously doesn't happen and wont make sense in a fire arm focused game like Frozen Synapse), experience levels, unit upgrades and many more. I'll have to divide my time between this and Frozen Synapse.  



Pride of Nations
AGEOD's beast of a strategy game, Pride of Nations, is releasing in two weeks time. I have a review copy installed and I'm already finding it a lot more stable than the preview version I played earlier. There's a Indian uprising scenario which I'm currently playing through to get to grasp with the mechanics of the game. I'd like to play a smaller scenario before jumping in the grand campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment