Sunday, December 12, 2010

Civilization V Game Diary 1 - Veni, Vidi, Maybe Not Vici


The next in my series of game diaries is Civilization V. If you haven’t read my review of it, you can do so here. It’s still an outstanding game made even better by the latest updates. For this game diary, I’ll be picking Augustus Caesar as my leader. I will be leading mighty Rome to be a city of culture and wealth(like it was). Will Rome stand the test of time?





While the historical reality of the Roman Empire meant it was an extremely large empire, I’ll be focusing on making a smaller nations with an emphasis on culture and some wealth(trying to do a cultural victory, which is a bit difficult in Civ 5). I’ve already done the military route and earned a boring victory(highest score at the end of the game) with Germany, so it’s time to try something different.

Rome will be an empire of about four to five highly cultured cities. Picking Augustus Caesar means that making use of its special ability ‘for the glory of Rome’. There’s a 25% production bonus on producing structures that exist in Rome. What this means is that I’ll be able to build up my other cities fast and they can be as well developed as Rome.



Rome also gets to build Legions and Ballistas as their unique unit. Building Legions will be a key part of my strategy in the ancient era to defend my cities. However, that is hoping that luck is one my side and there are iron deposits near my cities. Legions also have the ability to build roads which I doubt I’ll be doing much since they cost 1 gold per turn for each hex of road.

In this story of mine, Rome is a coastal city. I got a lucky start. The starting position has an abundance of food(fish) and some resources. I settled Rome here and started building scouts that can move around the world a lot faster than my warriors. For technology, I started with researching pottery, which leads to sailing. I want to get those fishes as soon as possible so I can give Rome a growth boost. I hope there is iron nearby. Next time, we’ll see how the dice fell on this randomly generated continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment