Thursday, December 2, 2010

Revenge of The Titans Demo Impressions


Tower defense games! You’ve probably played a gazillion variation of them by now. So when I was browsing the newly launched Show Me The Games! indie site and saw this tower defense game with a very pretty art style, I was hesitant, as well as intrigued. But I decided to give it a try anyway(since the demo is free anyway) and I have to say, it’s quite good. Developed by the so cute you want to pinch their cheeks Puppy Games,in Revenge of The Titans, you need to hold back the mysterious alien forces called the Titans.





Revenge of The Titans has a campaign mode that slowly takes you from the easiest difficulty to the most challenging levels all over the world map. It’s a linear campaign, only allowing you to pick one level at a time. What is unique about Revenge of the Titans is resource collection. Apart from the usual money/currency to buy your tower and defenses, you’ll have to build refineries to mine ore that net you more money.



Money can then also be used to pay for research after each mission to open up new technology, new towers and other cool goodies to kill the invaders. Revenge of The Titans really places a lot of importance on money. Things are really expensive. You’d often have to weigh the need to spend that much money into research before going into a particularly challenging level as less money = less towers.



Revenge of The Titans also does what PopCap does with its casual games. It forces you to click on little things on the screen. You need to click on your refinery to collect the money when they are full, click on towers to reload them, click on little bonus objects that you get from time to time(these also include some special powers).

I’m not sure how I feel about what I’d consider babysitting your economy and your towers. I think I would have much preferred if these were done automatically. I did enjoy it nevertheless. I think the art style and the relatively short length of missions make this a much more casual pick up and play experience. Nothing that made me want to throw my keyboard at my monitor. Hooray! Thumbs up.

Revenge of The Titans isn’t done yet and is currently in beta. You can however pre order it now and get a 50% discount (USD$13.37).

You can download the demo here

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about babysitting when I first started playing. Nevertheless, the game quickly grew on me and I was able to play all the way to Titan. The weapons you get towards the end are lots of fun!

    You can take a look at my brief Revenge of the Titans tutorial here:
    http://www.6by9.net/b/2010/10/17/tips-and-tricks-revenge-of-the-titans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think so to. The babysitting of these thing are not game ending. They are just initially annoying. For what I played in the demo, it never required that much micro management. Perhaps in the full game things do get crazy in the later mission...

    ReplyDelete