Sunday, July 3, 2011

This Week’s Gaming - For Mother Russia!


This week, the only new thing I’m playing is the expansion to Hearts of Iron III, For The Motherland. Not sure if I’ll get anything from the Steam sales(might do that). I checked the release schedule for July and it seems there’s just Call of Juarez: The Cartel and Supreme Ruler: Cold War… yeah… slow month. Might play my backlog of games.






Alice: Madness Returns
I’ve completed the game and my review is in the works. It’s… quite old school… but not in a good way. Its gameplay is a little… repetitive, but it does have some pretty memorable levels. The game looks pretty. You can read my review for Alice soon’ish.





Hearts of Iron III For The Motherland
The expansion to the grand strategy war game sounds like a Russian/Eastern Front focused expansion but… titles can be deceiving. I’ve said it before but there are new interfaces for theatre management and new options regarding partisans and underground rebel forces. Started a game as Soviet Union and noticed the map scrolls a lot smoother. Still a little laggy for me and I had one crash. Might have a crash bug or two. Will see how this Soviet Union campaign goes this week.





Pride of Nations
All right, I’ve been trying out this game but making an AGEOD game into a grand strategy game might be stretching it a bit too far. The interface is clunky and cumbersome to the point that there are no buttons to get to some of the screens(you need to use your hotkeys). And there are way too many details on the map to make sense of it with a million different map filters to tell you like a gazillion different things. As Prussia in the grand campaign, I’ve only managed to commission the work of two forts and the recruitment of two military units. I've done nothing else. It's certainly not a game that does a good job of capturing a first timers attention. But does it hold up well after many turns? That's what I'm trying to find out now... if I can tolerate the messy user interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment