Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dragon Age II Lead Designer Says More Responsive Combat Benefits PC And Console


Dragon Age II Lead Designer, Mike Laidlaw, said in an interview with EurogamerThere's this strange perception that because the combat is faster - characters leaping into place or charging forward - it's an inherently console thing. We designed that because we thought that the ability to whirl around and snap off a fireball at a guy who's charging you, rather than shuffling in and launching it usually a couple of feet behind him, created a much stronger sense of responsiveness. To me that benefits the PC players and the console players.” He said this to the question of whether Dragon Age II for the PC was a better game.

Fair enough, but to me it sounded like what he was saying was that yes loosing some depth to the combat for a faster more responsive experience is better. I don’t want to get too deep into this as I have my Dragon Age II review coming up but lets just say I like games that have depth. Dragon Age II is still a pretty good game…well I’ll explain in my review. The interview is an interesting read and Mr. Laidlaw answers some of the criticism the game has had. You can read the full interview here

2 comments:

  1. Game was streamlined so much even a kindergartener could play it.
    Also, reused caves/sewers/houses for the whole damn game.
    Disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the reused locations was to extend the length of the game. Mark Laidlaw explained that in the interview.

    ReplyDelete