Thursday, February 3, 2011

Civilization V Game Diary 5 - Elizabeth Declares WAR



Turn 106, 225BC, Rome has reached the Medieval age. It feels a little awkward as I enter into the middle ages with Roman legionnaires queued up in my cities, I guess the disconnect in Civ games and history still exists in Civ 5. Roman legionnaires finally built, I send them to reinforce Antium. I can tell Elizabeth is up to something.




She’s reinforced Nottingham with Swordsmen and a Catapult. A telltale sign of a faction that is going to declare war on you. She’s also listed as Hostile in my diplomacy overview. In the next couple of turns she would warns me not to settle near her cities and warned me not to buy tiles near her cities(apparently this counts as aggression as well). I start off my first golden age(which lasts 10 turns).

Turn 120, Elizabeth publicly denounces me that I am to not be trusted. Immediately after that, she declares war on me. “Your weakness is my opportunity. Placing any trust in me was a mistake” she said. Okay well, I wont any longer. It’s hard to be nice with some people, sheesh.



Turn 124, the English army rolls into Antium. I retreat my Legions behind this river to get better defensive bonus. The English captured my iron mine and oddly did not pillage it. In Civ 5, if you destroy your enemies strategic resource production, the units that require them will fight with a significant penalty(I don’t have the numbers but they are pretty significant). I am almost certain the AI in Civ 4 would have definitely pillaged any improvements they were on. So despite my mistake(of not defending the iron mine), the AI didn’t punish me for it.

I move one legion up to the iron mine and held that position. As Elizabeth and Lhasa(a city state) were allies, they were both at war with me. I built a ballista to help siege cities(turns out they aren’t great siege units). Does Legions being more powerful than swordsmen make sense? Well I managed to beat the English back and start moving in on Nottingham. Lo and behold, Elizabeth offers me a peace treaty.



Not so awesome peace deal, but seeing that I haven't taken Nottingham(and having no proper siege unit) I decided to perhaps do the wrong thing. I took the peace treaty. I’m being nice here. That was a rather short war. What was interesting is that Lhasa was still at war with me. Surely Firaxis has to relook this. A city state that joins an allied nations war has to feel somewhat threatened that peace has been brokered with the major nation.



I decided on going against my instinct and annexed Lhasa. The AI in Civ 5 looks at it very negatively if you annex a city state. They look at it as beating up on the weak and your relation do take a hit. Montezuma who was friendly towards me is now cautious.



Turn 150, I’ve now got 5 cities in the Roman Empire. Neapolis a new Roman coastal city and of course Lhasa annexed to become part of my empire. I’ve built the Hagia Sophia wonder in Rome which will increase culture generation and great people in all cities. Things are looking good for now. A decent defence force and lots of culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment