Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gutter Video Games Journalism - Top Gaming Site Continues To Dish Out Unverified Rumours


Just a moment ago, a story went live on what is potentially the biggest video game blog on the internet at the moment. The site posted that a certain Bioware game is getting an arena based multiplayer mode(they say it might be a different game)... with dragons! It will be using DICE's Frostbite 2 engine(the one powering Battlefield 3). I'm not going to comment on the rumour of the game itself but the over emphasis on gutter journalism such as this is depressing to say the least.

I'm no journalist myself(I'm not claiming to be one), but I do know for a fact that posting info from an insider that doesn't even know if it is a sequel or a whole different game... totally unverifiable(don't expect an answer from the devs or publisher). I'm not against the idea of posting rumours. If the rumour originates from the publisher/dev and is plain for all to see, then go ahead and speculate(I've done that). But an insider? Yeah great job, you got a couple of thousand of hits, I'm certain. Of course it could be true, but ethical? This isn't the first time they've done this(and yes, other sites have done stuff like these as well). Good job guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment