Sunday, August 8, 2010

Civilization V Preview Round Up



I’ve seen plenty of Civilization V previews today(since the embargo for the preview ended). Now I’m not going to go through every single one of them, but here my summary of what I found from these previews.


It’s good, all the previews were very positive. Those who were worried can stop worrying, they haven’t ruined it. The main bit which I think most people were eager to learn more is the combat system. From the previews, it looks like the combat system is a well constructed Civ 5 version of a war game. Not quite as complex, but adding enough depth the series has always lacked in this department.



The addition of social policies seems like a nice addition to add personality to your empire(similar to like how Europa Universalis III added national ideas). I like that you basically have a second tech tree in social policies which is tied to the amount of culture you are producing. The more culture you produce, the more you unlock this social policy tree. It makes sense although how this will impact an aggressive warmongering civ is not exactly known.


City states seem more minor than I thought. It’s great to see that city states could be reasons for escalation of war or conflict but other than creating more interesting stories in playthroughs, their influence is rather limited. No biggie I guess. Overall I like the changes made(didn't care for religion in the first place) and I'll be keeping a close eye on this game. Civilization V is slated to be released September 21st on Steam.

No comments:

Post a Comment