Friday, July 23, 2010

My General Distaste For Profiteering Triple A Publishers

starcraft2preview3
Well StarCraft II is upon us, and soon everyone will be giving this game glowing reviews. I wont be doing this because I wont be buying StarCraft II(probably not, as it stands now). This is mainly because StarCraft II turns out to be the most expensive PC game ever to be sold in Malaysia. At RM248, the South East Asian region version looks to be the most expensive version. Which frankly doesn’t make much sense. The Americans are paying USD60 and we have to pay equivalent to USD$77.



IAH Games, the official licensee of StarCraft II in this region claims in this interview that the reason for the higher cost is for offering a better experience for SEA users with their own servers and call centre. Well all I can say is that those are features that are available for other regions too. They get their own infrastructure. So why is SEA region being made to pay through their noses for setting up infrastructure? Blizzard?


StarCraft II is already the most expensive PC exclusive game in the US coming in at USD$60, but really, RM248 for SEA users? Like we are a region that has one of the highest quality of life in the world? You can’t even standardise the price to follow the US price for Asia? Or wait, you are too busy counting the money in the vaults to do some proper research on regional price points?


I know many people will give in and pay up because lets face it, they think voicing out their opinion is just a waste of time as things like these are set in stone. Blizzard does make really good quality games and the lure of StarCraft II may be too hard to resist for some. But I for one, will not stand for this utter rubbish profiteering move. I also hear that the digital distribution version(on battle.net) will also be priced at RM248 hence snuffing all hope of me considering to buy this game.


This will be the last time I post about this game, unless I manage to get a copy for the same price the Americans are paying for. This whole fiasco just reminds me just how much I appreciate the fresh ideas and genuine care indies have for their communities. In the face of money grabbing publishers(like Activision) and publishers that aim to ‘exploit’ their franchises and the market, indies are the rebels and freedom fighters of this day.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't expect this price as well. Oh well. I never intended to buy this anyway as it seems to me to be exactly the same as the original, except prettier. Maybe I'll pick it up for its single-player campaign story when it hits the bargain bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea. I was really disappointed to learn about the price point. It's such a boneheaded decision. I'm a huge strategy gamer(so are you i presume) but I cant support such a thing.

    Blizzard games never hit bargain bin. They have never sold any of their games at a discount as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Blizzard doesn't do bargain bins but they do repackage their games into cheaper SKUs like the various Battlechests they make. Since the campaign for SC2 is going to be released over three games anyway, I figure I can wait until everything gets collected together. Of course, it's likely going to be a long wait...

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, the aussies and NZ are the ones who feel the pain the most. They are stuck with asians and they are paying much more than us, like 99.99AUD on EB Games.

    We are still slightly better compared to them.

    The achievement server going down is getting damn annoying. Probably switch to US version soon. Not like im able to play the game smoothly on SEA servers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing I buy and play C&c4 XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curse u blizzard!

    To teach blizzard a lesson, I'll be buying pirated SC2 from a reputable pirate store... like I always did... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete